Zereshk polo ba morgh (traditional)
Originally from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAF-KQf4QeY
- 4 Cups of Rice
- 3 Quarters of Chicken (Leg and Thigh)
- 1 Cup of Barberry
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Onion
- 1 Lime or Lemon Juice
- Liquid Saffron (6-7 Tablespoon)
- Cooking Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seed Powder
- 1 to 2 Tablespoon Sugar (or equivalent sweetener)"
- To make the rice
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil (2x as much rice)
- Heavily salt the water, a lot more than you think (don't worry we wash it away later).
- Wash the rice and then add to the pot.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook for half the regular cooking time.
- when the time is up, empty the rice into a collander and wash with cold water
- clean your rice pot and then put a 1/4 cup of oil, 1/4 cup of water (add some safron to the water for colour)
- bring the pan to a boil and then carefully spoon the rice into the pan.
- using the back of a fork, poke some holes in the rice to allow steam to travel through
- optional - add some knobs if butter to the top for additional richness
- bring to a medium heat, cover, and cook for 8 minutes
- once the time is up, remove the lid, and tie a clean tea towel around the inside of the lid to catch the steam.
- Replace the lid and cover the rice, reduce to a medium/low heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is fluffy
- once ready, remove a few spoonfuls of the rice and coat in safron water.
- tip the contents of the pot onto a large plate or bowel and the crispy base should come out on top.
- to make the chicken
- In a large pan, brown the chicken with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- sprinkle some trumeric over the chicken and cook on either side briefly.
- remove the chicken and keep to one side
- dice the onion and soften in the pan.
- add the tomatoe paste, cook for a few minutes then add the remaining turmeric and ground corriander
- when cooked add some boiling water and safron water, bring to the boil and scrape the bottom of the pan
- add in the chicken and any juices, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 min
- squeeze in the juice of one lemon, mix and cover until the chicken is fully cooked.
- serve with the rice.
Notes & thoughts