Piri piri chicken
- Half head of garlic chopped
- heaped tablespoon smoked paprika
- heaped tablespoon salt
- 5-6 birds eye chillis
- olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaves
- (optional, white wine, whisky, vinegar, beer)"
- Prepare ahead for optimal results, make a lot for basting.
- mash the garlic with the salt in a pestle and mortar.
- add the smoked paprika to form a paste
- chop up the chillis, add them to the paste and mix
- put the paste into a bowl with the olive oil and mix till combined.
- add the juice of one lemon, the bay leaves and mix
- adjust to taste. It should be sharp and a bit nippy.
- coat the chicken all over and inside the cavity.
- cut an onion in half and add to the cavity with a whole lemon (optional chopped fresh corriander)
- leave uncovered for as long as you can. overnight if possible in the fridge,
- if left in the fridge, still leave uncovered to help crispy skin, but remove from the fridge about an hour before cooking to bring to room temp
- Oven to 250,
- chicken in a roasting tray, skin side up.
- check after 10 minutes and base with the sauce."
Notes & thoughtsCooking times: 250 for 20, 200 for 10, 180 for 10, Leave to rest for 20min at least