Lemon chicken and cabbage soup over quinoa
- 8 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 onion (large, sliced in rings)
- 4 cups savoy cabbage (chopped)
- 2 cups chicken (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 pinch cayenne
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa (prepared according to package directions)
- Bring stock or broth to boil.
- Add sliced onion rings and chopped cabbage.
- Reduce heat, simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the cabbage and onions are cooking, start cooking your quinoa according to package directions. It should take you about 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, parsley, and a pinch of cayenne to the stock at the 10 minute mark and then continue to simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and lemon slices.
- Spoon quinoa into bowls, and ladle soup over the top.
Notes & thoughtsSwapped Savoy Cabbage for pointed spring cabbage, used 4 slices of lemon at the end, and a full bunch of parsley, quinoa didn't have any salt, I thought it was bland but it really took the full flavour of the soup, I felt like it was missing something, but it wasn't! Also used smoked paprika instead of cayenne.