Joojeh kabob on taftoon bread
Originally from: https://www.tumblingpots.com/blog/joojeh-kabob-persian-chicken-kabob
- 4 lb. of boneless and skinless chicken breast, rinsed and pat dried
- 1 medium white or brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp saffron, powdered and dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter, melted in the microwave for 15 seconds
- Make the marinade. In a small mixing bowl, combine the kosher salt, black pepper, dissolved saffron, lemon juice, stirring well with a whisk. set aside.
- Slice the onions and bell pepper as thins as you can.
- Cut chicken breast into large bite-size pieces. Place the cut pieces and the marinade in a mixing bowl and mix by hand or utensils until each piece is well coated with marinade.
- Add sliced onions and bell peppers to chicken mixture and toss until veggies are evenly distributed. This is where you should decide to marinade them between 2 to 24 hours. 12 hours will be ideal.
- Prep and trim the wooden skewers to fit your stove-top grill if using them. Soak skewers according to their package instruction.
- When ready to grill, remember to leave chicken in room temperature for at least an hour.
- Remove chicken pieces from its liquid and vegetable mixture. pass each piece through the skewer. Brush both sides with melted butter and season with a little additional salt and pepper. Place the skewered chickens over preheated stove-top grill. Cook them on medium-high for about 4 minutes per side or until tender. Serve with grilled tomatoes and onions over lavash bread or steamed basmati rice.
Notes & thoughtsSwapped the Aleppo pepper for smoked paprika, was really nice, although the dish was quite oniony, and I don't think I made enough chicken. Didnt use lemon salt, but I grilled it with oil based tomato, yellow pepper (should have used green for colour) and orange segments. It was delish!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6R1v-XS3I