Cinamon scented orange and almond cake
- FOR THE CAKE(S)
- Ground almonds 100 g
- Sunflower oil 200 ml
- Baking powder 0.5 Tsp
- Whole egg(s) 4 whole
- Caster sugar 200 g
- Breadcrumbs 100 g
- Unwaxed orange(s) 1 whole
- Unwaxed lemon(s) 1 whole
- FOR THE SYRUP
- Clove(s) 2 whole
- Cinnamon stick(s) 1 g
- Caster sugar 75 g
- Orange juice 150 ml
- FOR THE GARNISH(ES)
- Orange(s) 6 whole
- Greek yogurt 200 g
- Pre heat the oven to 180'C.
- Zest the orange and the lemon.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 200g sugar, the almonds and baking powder. Whisk the oil with the eggs, then add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the zests. Pour the mixture into individual moulds and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown.
- While the cakes are in the oven, make the citrus syrup. Put the orange juice, 75g caster sugar, cloves and cinammon stick into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer until you have a syrupy consistency. Strain to remove the cinnamon stick and the cloves. Set aside.
- Test whether the cake is cooked through by inserting a skewer or the tip of a knife into the centre. If the cake is ready, the knife will come out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the moulds.
- While the cakes are still warm pierce them several times with a skewer and then spoon the hot syrup over the top, allowing it to run into the holes. Leave to cool. Spoon any excess syrup back over the cakes until all of the syrup has soaked into the cakes.
- Segment the oranges - Remove the skin from the oranges with a sharp knife making sure to remove all the white pith. Remove the segments from one orange, by cutting close to both sides of the segment next to the membrane. Add the segments to the remaining syrup and drizzle around the plate.
- Finish with thick Greek yogurt.
Notes & thoughtsWhat a simple cake, and easy to make, remember to take the cakes out of the moulds when they are warm, and drizzle the syrup then. Used blood orange instead which was interesting but still worked Need to think about how to better prepare the orange segments, its a little laborious.